Backup - Named and Automated

Automatic backups set to each day.

If I’m using the app, back it up, don’t tell me, especially for cloud.
If I’ve got a pro subscription, auto backup my music.

For manual backups, let me name them, so if I’m trying something, let me name it, before xxx
after xx worked etc.

How will this feature help you and others?
Please explain how this helps you and other users. Keep in mind that feature requests that are too specific may not be added.

Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product?
Please let us know if this feature already exists in any other software. This is helpful to understand the problem and perhaps come to an even better solution.

Does a workaround currently exist?
Please explain how you currently deal with the problem.

@scorp888 can you please edit and fill out the form correctly, it will only serve to speed up a response and to give Christiaan a better understanding and the ability to decide on if and how he could implement this suggestion.

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be an edit function available?

If the template text is mandatory, could it be made clearer / not able to be deleted?

I assumed it was a suggestion.

As with anything suggestion or fault finding based, the more information the better, If you can’t see an edit option just copy the text from your original post and add the info.

We are just trying to make Christiaan’s life easier and trying to get the improvements you want added.

StuR.

If this was a free product, or shareware, you’d be spot on. But it’s not it’s a premium product with a premium price.

How about doing the support thing instead of blaming your users that your system isn’t clear?

So far I’ve spent a lot of time with Lexicon in beta and now paying for it, and it still can’t reliably transfer songs to and from Engine DJ, which is something that it’s supposed to do out the box.

Now don’t get me wrong, Christiaans responds really well. But I’m a paying customer, and you’re paid for support (from my perspective, I’m paying and you’re responding)

So if it’s your job to make Christiaans life easier, improve the template so it’s easier to fill out.

or just tell me exactly what you think is missing from what I posted as having re-read it I think it’s pretty clear.

Every other backup software has an automated option except for Lexicon backup.

It’s really bad practise to have users remember to back things up.

In the lex setup for pro, it should ask how often do you want to back up and it should be fire and forget after that.

That’s point one. Please let me know what’s not clear about that suggestion and I’ll happily give you more info.

Point 2, because of the large number of issues with Lexicon at the moment (for me, with engine DJ and caveated, that Christiiaan is working on them) I want to create backups when I run a test build or when something is write or after Ive spent several hours correcting something.

Instead of backup 2022-08-01 07_43.zip

I want the option to stay running-test-build-backup 2022-08-01 07_43.zip

Again I’m not sure what information is missing?

But happy to add any specific information you think is missing.

@scorp888 The template is pretty clear so there’s no need to argue about it. It helps when you fill it in because it asks questions that I would otherwise ask so it speeds up solving the problem by several days. Feel free to remove irrelevant questions or add more information if you feel that it helps. But I’m sure you understand that just typing your thing before the questions and leaving them there is not how the template is intended.

And please don’t attack Stu because he helps out in the community to answer questions and help out when he can. There’s no obligation for him to do anything.

Regarding your auto backup idea: there is a reason it’s not automatically because you just don’t know how large a database is and how fast a users’ internet is. A huge database with bad connection will really not make for a good experience. That’s why Lexicon asks you when you haven’t made an online backup for 7 days.

And you can rename any backup yourself after making it. For testing purposes it might be easy to have it ask you during the backup but that’s not really something most users need.

Also if you feel that you can’t use Lexicon yet due to issues, I can extend the subscription while we are fixing them. I’m doing my best there, and with good feedback and trying test builds sometimes, I think we can fix it pretty quickly.

"Feel free to remove irrelevant questions or add more information if you feel that it helps. "

That’s exactly what I did.

As to being attacked.

the first response I got from StuR was “can you please edit and fill out the form correctly”

So I’ve filled out the form wrong from that.

If you can fill a form out wrong, it’s the forms fault.

So if you want the text below left, then put, Leave the text below and fill in between the text, don’t assume that we all interpret things one way. Because it’s clear we don’t. Clear instructions are clear instructions.

But if that’s what really helps, then lets go for it.

What is the feature or ability you would like to have?
Please explain your feature request. Add an image/screenshot if it makes sense to clarify things.

Automatic backups set to each day.

If I’m using the app, back it up, don’t tell me, especially for cloud.
If I’ve got a pro subscription, auto backup my music.

For manual backups, let me name them, so if I’m trying something, let me name it, before xxx
after xx worked etc.

How will this feature help you and others?
Please explain how this helps you and other users. Keep in mind that feature requests that are too specific may not be added.

Backups can be forgotten, ignored etc. Backup to the cloud is an expensive premium feature for Lexicon, it should be automatically used where possible and for those users with a pro sub, set automatically.

Over night backups when the machine and the internet are the way to go, not just when lex is exited or when the user remember.

Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product?
Please let us know if this feature already exists in any other software. This is helpful to understand the problem and perhaps come to an even better solution.

Yes all other backup software for music has an automated option, see something like Cobian, Dropbox, onedrive, google drive etc.

Does a workaround currently exist?
Please explain how you currently deal with the problem.

N/A

So the form is filled in, I’m really not sure what it adds to it.

As to your point regarding auto backups vs large db and how fast the internet is, how is that different from when I select manually?

Manual doesn’t make it faster.
Manual doesn’t make the db smaller.

Having it done overnight, then a delta the following day make it better for the user though.

As to your final point “There’s no obligation for him to do anything.” Then can you let me know how I block them as user ,then I don’t have to do anything with them either"

When you upload it manually, you can decide when it’s going to do a slow upload and that can be at a time that works for you. I don’t really see it being helpful to auto upload on slow connections because that clogs up the connection and really doesn’t make anyone happy.
And there are also metered connections to account for, also not something I want to be responsible for.
So all in all this is not something that I’d like to add in the near future.

Like I already said on Discord, I don’t find any of Stu’s message rude so I don’t really see why you’re making a problem of all this. Stu is part of the community and is doing great helping folks and answering questions so if you don’t want to be part of that, then the only suggestion I can make is to not be part of the community.

1 Like