Cues randomly shifted in Rekordbox 5

You can check what the shift is in RB by adding 2 memory cues. Should be 26ms or 51ms most likely.

Yes that would shift them in LXC and if they are correct there, then it shouldn’t be needed.

It could be that these tracks are in the false positives of beatshifts. Usually that’s only a tiny percentage but since all those tracks come from the same source, they might all have the same problem.

You could try re-encoding them, might help… Not sure at this point though

I appreciate all the help, it really looks like they’re just cursed on my end somehow…

Can you please explain what you mean by re-encoding them and how I can do that?
Also is it expected that the cue playback in LXC starts delayed compared to the playback from the cue button itself?
I might as well just delete all info and do them all over again if nothing else works so I’m getting ready to do that to.

Some interesting things I found that might be useful for you to know:
In most tracks, the first cue is at 42ms, either shifted or set by me on grid after seemingly 42ms of silence.

I tried comparing the difference between the grids and the cues of some tracks and they don’t seem consistent (I found 13, 16, 17ms differences just looking randomly so likely there’s more amounts).

I noticed that in some tracks the cues get delayed more with time (i.e. first cue is in sync with the grid, the third one is shifted 15ms and the last one is shifted 63ms).

In some tracks, the cue times seem to be in sync like this (img below). The sync is not only in the 42ms shifted ones, but those seem most often. In some of these the delay between the cues and the grid increases with time, but not in all.

Tried finding out if this delay is connected to the song position or the number of cues but can’t find anything consistent.

The image of the weird time sync in cue timing. I added the first cue manually just to see the difference between the grid and the first cue.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, if not please juts advise me on how I can try the re-encoding as the last thing before I delete them all and add them back.
Thank you.

edit:
I forgot to add that the grids actually seem to be correct now, only occasionally shifted slightly but I think that’s most likely because they were added in LXC and you can’t zoom in as much as in RB.
These shifts are irrelevant, so only cues are the problem.

edit 2:
I also found at least two tracks where quantizing the song position in RB using the cue button when close to the grid quantizes the position to slightly before the actual grid marker.
This only seems to happen for one or two beats in the song tho and funny enough the two tracks that have this are by the same artist.
This is an irrelevant shift as well, just wanted to mention it in case it means something to you.

Yeah playing a cue and playing the cue button has a slightly different sound, it’s not intended but haven’t been able to figure out why that is exactly.

It’s actually weird that cues are shifted more than grids. LXC treats grids and cues 100% the same when it comes to these beatshift problems. Maybe what happens is that it wants to move the cues below 0ms which is obviously not allowed so it gets set to exactly 0ms. Grids are allowed below 0ms.

Re-encoding can be done with one of many tools, even iTunes can do it. Not sure if re-encoding from MP3 to MP3 is possible there too. If you’re technical you could use ffmpeg CLI directly, otherwise maybe something like this. I haven’t tested it, just a quick search. Going from MP3 → WAV and then from the WAV → MP3 would be re-encoding. That’s the manual way if MP3 → MP3 isn’t supported.
I’d try with a few files at first and see how the cue problem looks.

The thing with re-encoding is that it depends on what MP3 encoder the program uses and we don’t actually know which are good and which are bad… I do know that there are some older pre-release encoders that are bad that are probably not in these programs but that’s why testing with a few tracks is a good idea.

Hope this helps!

Okay, thank you. I will give this a try and hope for the best.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.