Horizontal Scrolling on Windows via AHK

Unfortunately adding the ability to horizontal scroll in Lexicon on Windows hasn’t been possible to this point. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be done!

If you’re not familiar with AutoHotKey it’s a powerful scripting based solution for Windows to allow complex automation, shortcuts and remappings that’s been around since 2003.

Install AHK using the Current Version link from the site and then we can create our horizontal scrolling script (If you already use AHK for other things you can just add this code to your existing script). With the file created, double click it to run it (you’ll be able to see it as an icon in your task bar) and once it’s running try holding shift and scrolling in Lexicon, magic!

horizontalscroll.ahk

; Shift + Wheel for horizontal scrolling
+WheelDown::WheelRight
+WheelUp::WheelLeft

Quick explanation of what’s happening here is the “+” is short for the shift key so we’re saying whenever Shift+WheelDown is pressed, send a WheelRight command instead. Then the same logic for Shift+WheelUp

Hope it helps you all, let me know if anything doesn’t make sense.

Awesome! I have Autohotkey always running for desktop switching so I will probably add this to it.

A thought: not sure if AHK can do this, but can we limit this script to when Lexicon is focused? Just to prevent weirdness in other programs.

Yes, you should be able to restrict the behaviour to only apply to Lexicon with this:

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Lexicon.exe
+WheelDown::WheelRight
+WheelUp::WheelLeft
1 Like