How can I migrate my Lexicon library from a Mac to Windows PC and then export to Engine DJ?

Current scenario: Macbook Pro as main computer with Serato DJ and over 20,000 songs in my library, allocated on the internal SSD.
Path: “Macintosh SSD/Users/djrodz/Music/Music Files”.

Future scenario: Windows Desktop PC as the main computer, running Engine DJ and the 20,000 songs allocated on the internal SSD.
Path: “C:\Users\djrodz\Music\Music Files”.

The Music Files folder is the root folder where the songs are located.
The Macbook will be sold and I will not use it anymore, since I will be using a standalone device.

How can Lexicon help me with this migration?

My idea is to migrate all my Serato library that is currently on Mac to Windows PC, but without using Serato, as I want to switch to Engine DJ platform. I know Serato does the relocation of lost files, but it is not efficient and many links are lost during the migration.

I believe I should install Lexicon on both PC and Mac. On Mac, I import the entire Serato library into Lexicon. Then I backup the Lexicon database to a USB stick and copy the main folder where the songs are (Music Files folder) to an external HD and then to the PC’s internal SSD. I open Lexicon on the PC and import the database backup I made on the Mac and which is on the pendrive. Until then, Lexicon will show me the songs, however, they will lose the references, is that it? Then I need to go to his settings and what do I do for him to recognize the new folder where the songs are on the PC? As I’m using the demo version, it doesn’t let me touch these options to test… I’m not sure if it will work.

After Lexicon has relocated my songs and everything is perfect, I export the bank to Engine DJ, correct?

Another question is: the DJ Engine still doesn’t have the feature to Relocate Lost Files and sometimes I’ll want to physically delete the songs from my SSD, since I don’t want to use them anymore. Does Lexicon allow this directly from his playlist and once done, sync to Engine DJ?

Thanks!

I wrote this guide precisely for your situation: Guide: Moving Lexicon to another computer | Lexicon - DJ Library Management

The Engine sync does not delete files from an external disk. The workaround here is to delete all files from the disk, then sync and Lexicon will copy all files that are in use to the external disk again.

Hi Christiaan. I’m looking to buy Lexicon, sounds like a great app. My issue is my library is all on a PC using rekordbox 5.8.2, and I want to transfer my library to a Mac using Lexicon first, then eventually export to EngineDJ. Can you give me some guidance as to how I can accomplish this.

First, I would decide if you want to stay on RB 5 or move to RB 6. If you want to change to RB6, I would start with that. Rekordbox will upgrade to 6 which takes a while so good to get that out of the way.

Then to move from Windows to Mac, you can use the earlier guide and be sure to follow the Scenario: Moving from Windows to Mac chapter.

Once your Lexicon is on your Mac and your tracks are no longer showing as missing (orange triangle), then all you need to do is sync to Engine DJ.

HI Christiaan,

Thanks for your reply. I actua

Hi Christiaan,

Thanks for your quick reply. I actually did upgrade to RB6 but I’m a little unsure of the process. There were quite a lot of files missing and I am much more sure of my library in the earlier version.
I also downloaded RB6 on my MAC and wasn’t able to access the library. To be honest, I didn’t spend much time though. I would feel much more confident going from RB 5.8.2 to Lexicon.
What is your feeling on this? Thanks again and I look forward to using Lexicon. One last thing, I found it difficult to find any instructional videos on Lexicon. Is there one?

Best,

Tommy

You can import from RB5 too, see Rekordbox 5 | Lexicon - DJ Library Management

Then just follow the same steps in the guide to get your Lexicon working on the mac and sync to an empty RB6 on your mac.

We recently started with videos, so just a few there but more on the way: https://www.youtube.com/@lexicondj

HI Christiaan,

Since our last conversation I have completely abandoned Rekordbox. I cannot get it to work and their support is terrible. With that, I just DL’d the demo. I’m probably going to do the Pro subscription but I just want to make sure of something. When Importing my library is it actually copying files to the computer where the app resides? I have my files on an external SSD at this point and won’t have room on the drive where the app resides. Can I use it this way?

Aslo, I will import the XML file and show the software where the music redies, correct.

Thank you!

Hi!
When you import, it only imports the metadata of the files into the Lexicon database. So no file copying is happening and Lexicon only uses a small amount of room on your disk.

After importing the XML file, Lexicon should see all your tracks and playlists. If the locations from the XML were no longer accurate, you will need to relocate the tracks. For that, follow step 4 of the earlier guide.

Keep in mind that Lexicon is not meant for actual DJing, just preparation. You do still need to use a DJ app to mix, but not necessarily Rekordbox :slight_smile:

Thank you Christiaan. I understand! I want to thank you for your quick replies and I see myself becoming a lifetime user and bragger of Lexicon. Tommy

1 Like

Awesome! If you have questions or problems, you can always find me here or on Discord

Hi Christiaan,

Merry Christmas. So I’m up and running, learning the software. I have a question. When I want to save playlists or my whole library to let’s say use on my Denon equipment, using engine. I cannot save to a drive directly from Lexicon correct? I must use lexicon to convert or update the library and send it to engine to save to a drive. Same process for when I want to use my pioneer gear. I still need to use rekordbox to save to a drive for use. Correct? If that is the case I would love it if I could save to drive directly from Lexicon using whatever format I need at the time. Perhaps in the future?

Thank you,

Tommy

For Engine, you can save it directly to your Denon device. There is a target option on the sync screen.

For Pioneer, you do need to go through Rekordbox first. Maybe you won’t need to in the future, but no plans for that yet.

Christiaan,

I never have to add music to the database, just to the drive lexicon is using to view the database, correct? I’m so use to having to import music as I get it. I’m a little traumatized but I’m tying to work through it lol.

For new tracks, just drag them into Lexicon.

If your tracks are already in any DJ app, it’s best to import them because that keeps your cues. Normally you only do that once (the first time you use Lexicon) and then never again because you always add your tracks to Lexicon first.