Lossless File Conversion that keeps metadata and hot cues

Lexicon truly needs an internal file converter for converting tracks from FLAC or WAV to AAC, AIF, or any other lossless format to use on older models of CD-J equipment.

When you work with a lot of other DJs you end up using a lot of different kinds of gear. Sometimes you plug your usb into a CD-J 900 and realize your USB isn’t compatible with the equipment. I personally have 4 usb sticks (one serato, one Rekordbox, one Traktor, and my whole DJ library backed up) just so I have options no matter what. The one thing about playing on older equipment is that it’s a pain in the ass to convert all your files using some online converter, dragging them into your dj software and re-doing every hot cue, gridding and so on. Lexicon is a fantastic bridge between DJ software but it could also give the option to convert audio that keeps its metadata, hot cues, memory cues, ect. so its compatible with any version of Pioneer CD-J’s

I think a feature like this would save an enormous amount of time during prep and take stress off of having to go through the tedious work-around that currently exists. It’s just something that would be great to prep easily no matter the file format. I feel like Lexicon is all about ease and this would make the life of DJs tremendously easier.

Yeah I agree and I was working on that a month ago for the Beatshift Fixer (it re-encodes to MP3 320 at the moment only). The thing I ran into was that I was allowing any format to be chosen at first but what is the point of converting to AAC or FLAC as a DJ? You can have those files and you might want AIFF, MP3 or even WAV for really old gear, but why do you ever want to convert to AAC or FLAC? Purely from a DJ perspective that is.

So I struggled with the utility being either a full format convertor (that would not be fully used) or a limited converter.

If you check out all the versions of cd-j AAC and AIFF are the most consistent. FLAC is useful as a DJ because it takes up less space than a WAV and it can hold metadata. Small + Lossless format is a great combo to maximize the space on your USB’s
The real key though is transferring the hot cues with the file conversion.

[CD-J 3000] * ALAC. AAC. AIFF. FLAC.MP3.WAV.
|CDJ-2000NXS2|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC, FLAC, ALAC
|CDJ-2000NXS|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC
|CDJ-2000|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC
|XDJ-1000MK2|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC, FLAC, ALAC
|XDJ-1000|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC
|CDJ-1000MK3|MP3, CDA|CD|
|CDJ-1000MK2|CDA|CD|
|CDJ-1000|CDA|CD|
|CDJ-900NXS|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC|USB, CD, Mac, Win, iOS, Android|
|CDJ-900|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC|CD|
|CDJ-850|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC|USB, CD|
|CDJ-800MK2|MP3, CDA|CD|
|CDJ-800|CDA|CD|
|XDJ-700|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC
|CDJ-400|MP3, CDA|USB, CD|
|CDJ-350|MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC|

Should it replace your files or should it output them to a new folder? If the latter, it would have to also add those to Lexicon in order to preserve cues. That would lead to duplicates.

As it is right now I end up having duplicates anyway because of the process. Perhaps it could send the new duplicates to its own folder seperate from the main library. Either way having the ability to convert to different file formats would help tremendously.

Keeping it in mind for later! Definitely agree that a file converter has a good place in Lexicon

1 Like

Thanks Christiaan! I appreciate you taking the time to respond! Keep me updated if you do end up adding this feature

1 Like

Also just to be specific and to cut down on the immense amount of file formats you could convert to. I say converting any format to AIFF is the best since all CD-J equipment can take it. WAV has a history of having problems on CD-Js