Rekordbox beatgrid not read correctly by lexicon

HI! I started using Lexicon’s demo to design an automatic template for creating memory cues (rekordbox user here). That took a long time and a lot of trial and error but I got really impressive results. Y analyzed like 600 tracks and I was ready to print that to my rekordbox collection but I found out by looking closer that Lexicon had read a lot of the beatgrids wrong, so the memory cues are also shifted.

The beatgrids are the ones analyzed before by Rekordbox, wich were just perfect. If I reanalyze the beatgrids with Lexicon, the result is better, but far from perfect.

I would like to know a way to get around this, as I REALLY loved Lexicon in a global sense, I don’t want to loose all the work I did to create a great cues template that lets me relax while lexicon does all the work. not to mention all the cleaning up I did on tags and all kinds of data.

Here is the beatgrid as analyzed by rekordbox:

And here is how it is imported into Lexicon:

This is just one song as an example but this happened to a third or more of my collection. AND, very important: the shift is not constant, it can bea lot better or a lot worse than the one I’ve shown. So this is a dealbreaker for now, as correcting for it manually would defeat the purpose of using a great time saver software.

Thank you for your time.

Hi! This looks like the beatshift problem. Since you are seeing a shift, it’s likely that your tracks aren’t recognized by the scanner. The solution then is to use the Beatshift Fixer (see link). Keep in mind that this re-encodes all your tracks (or just the ones you selected if you want to try with a small amount first), so a music backup is a good idea!

Just in case, I haven’t converted my library to anything yet, I’ve just imported my whole rekordbox library to lexicon and that’s how it shows. Does the beatshift problem apply the same? I guess so.

I’ve ran the fixer on a couple of tracks and I’m seeing the same. Let me know if I’m understanding the process correctly.

1. do the fixer on the tracks you want.
  2. reanalyze tracks in lexicon so they get a new beatgrid?
  3. maybe quantize the cues I’ve already done.
  4. and then export all those tracks to rekordbox.

But, I’m already seeing that lexicon is not quite solid at generating new beatgrids, rekordbox is definitely better. so I would end up with “less good” beatgrids on all my rekordbox collection.
Also, when I analyze beatgrid on lexicon, does that overwrite the beatgrid that was analyzed by rekordbox? Should I see changes in rekordbox?

There will be a better analyzer very soon, it’s in beta now, you can already try it.
The problem is that the shift can be different so there’s no one constant we just correct it by. Since the shift happens on import, the only way to fix this is this:

1. Import tracks
  2. Run the beatshift fixer
  3. Re-analyze the tracks
  4. Sync to Rekordbox, should have the same grids as Lexicon now without shift

The beatshift is the most annoying problem there is because there is no way to know when and how the shift occurs. If there was a perfect solution, it would be in Lexicon.

UPDATE:

When I find a track that is “shifted” in Lexicon, I put it through the fixer utility.
The track stays the same in lexicon, I see it as shifted. Like this:

If I then go to rekordbox, it also looks shifted, sometimes even worst than it was in lexicon, like this:

I play it in rekordbox to hear this, and when I go back to lexicon it is “unshifted”, in other words, it looks and most importantly SOUNDS as if I reanalyzed it with lexicon. Meaning, the beatgrid is okay, but it needs a little help to be perfect.

If I analyze the beatgrid again in rekorbox, then it looks and sounds perfect when I go back to lexicon and play it.

Is this expected behavior?

If I understand correctly, to get my collection in order I would have to “beatfix” every track, then reanalyze it (beatgrid only) in rekordbox, and then redo or quantize all my cues in lexicon and only then export my collection to rekordbox with lexicon.

Hi Christian!
Sorry I didn’t see your message before sending my last one.
I have to say, you’re doing God’s work here, congratulations. The task is monumental.
Just one last question, for now hehe… when you say “3.Re-analyze the tracks”, you mean reanalyze them with Lexicon right?

If you get the beatgrid analysis to be “perfect”, then it’s done, for sure all my tracks would go through Lexicon before going to any other software.

I will definitely try the new analyzer.
Thank you so much for your time.

Yeah I mean re-analyze in Lexicon, because then the grid is made for the “fixed” track, so there’s no offset and when synced to RB there should also be no offset. I know it’s not a perfect solution, but I’m afraid there isn’t one :confused:

Oh so you wouldn’t recommend what I just did :grin:… wich is re-analyze my beatgrids in Rekordbox to re-import them into Lexicon (I haven’t done the re-import thing yet).

I figured Rekordbox’s analysis is made for that “fixed” file too, and it’s also a little better at it.

Yeah sorry, that should work too. Try it out with a few tracks first just to be sure. The beatshift problem and the solutions are a bit confusing, even for me.

Well, you’ve got yourself a client Christiaan.
For a while a thought I was getting too into the woods with Lexicon but once I did all the trial and error I almost got emotional sitting back and watching it do all my cueing staff just the way I like it.
Of course it’s never going to be perfect, but it’s 85% there and that’s enough to save me at least a month of work.

By the way, I think I’ve discovered some kind of bug when using the action “add cue and apply cue template #”:
I assigned a keyboard shortcut (alt+numpad1to9) to that action and every time I use it, somehow my keyboard looses focus and I have to minimize and maximize Lexicon’s window to be able to use, for example, my space bar to toggle play/pause.
This of course makes the action unusable.

1 Like

Yeah perfection is hard here, but still striving for it! Making Lexicon better every day :muscle:

I’ll check out what is happening with the focus. Are you on Windows or Mac?

I’ve only installed Lexicon on my windows machine for now. So I don’t know if it’s happening on mac too.

Okay, I will check that focus issue, thanks!

The alt bug will be fixed next release :+1: It was specifically for the Alt button with Numpad, so any other combination should work normally, so that’s a workaround until the next release

Thanks! I ended up finding a lot of different workarounds to recover focus, moving the mousewheel for example. It’s good to know that I can just change the shortcut for now.

1 Like