Select the location of Engine DJ library

Hello, I would appreciate to have an option for selection of engine dj library.

Lexicon takes as default the path “C:\Users\username\Music\Engine Library”. But I have all my music files on local disk D in folder “D:\Music”. The Engine DJ takes it like “external” drive so it creates “D:\Engine Library” path. Therefore all info and paths are stored there.

Lexicon detect will only import library from “C:\Users\username\Music\Engine Library” - where I have an empty database - so it will import nothing.

Importing from regular external source (Prime 4 or external HDD or Flashdisk) proceed of course normally.

So, please try to add either functionality to detect local disk D as external or add selection of exact library location.

How will this feature help you and others?
It will help me to transfer my engine library from Engine DJ to my Virtual DJ.

Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product?
Most likely no.

Does a workaround currently exist?
Just add an option for selecting Engine DJ library location.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Br.

DJ NASH

So you have your music and your library both on the external drive?

I manage my library in my ntb and i’m duplicating this to the Prime 4 and two backup hdds.

Not sure this is how Engine was intended to be used though :thinking: Normally you manage your files on your internal drive and sync to your external.

If you are using Lexicon then why not set your Prime 4 as the sync target drive so Lexicon copies the files there. That’s a good workflow with fewer steps.

Yes, you are right. But… i have a reason for my approach. I’m on demand alternating Prime 4 and Virtual DJ. I need to have same structure of folders also in my ntb and in the device Prime 4. Nevertheless, my approach is not related to the issue which I described. Lexicon provides importing engine library within the local drive right? In my ntb i have two internal disks C: for system D: for data, where I have my music stored. Problem is, that Lexicon does not take into account library and files on the other drive. If I would have everything on drive C: in Music foder and Engine Library folder there as well, it will work properly as it was intended. But I don’t need to have it on drive C: it’s a system disk and does not have enough capacity for my music files. It’s a little misunderstanding between Engine Library and your intended approach.

I am unsure why Lexicon is not taking into account your (D:) drive, i run my music on a second internal drive (E:) not on my system drive and have no issues at all.

Is your internal D: drive being recognised wrongly by your ntb? Something doesn’t seem quite right.

How is your D: Drive installed? Is it replacing an optical drive?

1 Like

Tracks do get read from other drives like D:.

When you add tracks to your normal collection from the D:/ drive, Engine creates a database at D:/Engine Library so that is what Lexicon also reads.

Are you importing from the internal drive like this?

I have tested this with an empty Engine and I added tracks directly to my other drives like this:

And I can import it normally into Lexicon, as long as it is on the (Computer) setting.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t saying that Lexicon wasn’t working at reading D: I was trying to understand if the drive in the computer is being recognised correctly, if it is being seen as an external drive in the OS then it could be affecting how it is dealt with.

On a side note, I have the same folder structure on all my drives and use Lexicon to manage it all, adding new tracks through Lexicon’s Watch Folder and moving the files on completion to the relevant folder in my main collection on my E: so it definitely does work for this scenario

1 Like

My drive is installed in standard way - it is not instead of any device. There’s C:\ 256 GB SSD - NTFS, mainly for system and programs and separate D:\ 1 TB “normal” rotating HDD - NTFS for data. Maybe Lexicon has a problem with recognizing NTFS drive? Engine dj does not have this problem (okey, for Prime 4 all external or internal drives must be mainly exFAT or FAT 32). But for storing and managing your library locally in computer with Engine DJ it does not matter, it reads all.

Ok, I like your approach. :slight_smile: Good point to drive recognition. I mentioned it in post below, I found out, that my D:\ is NTFS formatted. Maybe Lexicon has a problem with recognizing NTFS drive?

Thanks for the proof. :slight_smile: Generally, I see same things as you. Engine DJ recognize everything. Lexicon shows me the same (Computer) Engine DJ desktop. But it does not take into account my D:\Engine LIbrary.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!
Oh! And what I have found out right now! I’ve clicked on import. It really imports the library!!! :smiley: BUT… IT DOES NOT IMPORT ANY OF MY PLAYLISTS (as you can see on picture above). THAT’S MAINLY WHAT I WANT AT THIS MOMENT! So, maybe the result for now cane be:

It recognizes D:\Engine Library
It imports Library to Lexicon
It does not recognize and import any playlists.

Lexicon imports playlists from the C:/Users/user/Music/Engine Library folder. But that folder should exist, even if you use Engine the way you do.

I checked it here. I deleted my C:/Users/user/Music/Engine Library and I created a playlist on my D: drive. Engine recreates the C:/Users/user/Music/Engine Library folder with the new playlist. So when I import into Lexicon, the playlist is there.

Engine actually creates the playlists on every drive, so it’s normal that when your tracks are on D: that Lexicon still reads the C: database for your playlists.
Do you have an C:/Users/user/Music/Engine Library at all? Can you upload this file to me: C:/Users/user/Music/Engine Library/Database2/m.db so I can take a look.

You can upload here.

Yes, mentioned folder does exist. The principle of storing databases I understand and fully agree with you. I’ve uploaded the m.db file from mentioned folder, try to check it. For sure, here is the link again. https://rekordcloud.transfernow.net/dl/20220414p15egc4q

Thank you very much for your effort! :slight_smile:

Looking at your database, what I notice is that all your playlists have isPersisted=false which I believe means that Engine has deleted it or in some other way no longer uses them.
When I launch Engine with your database, I don’t see any playlists (because isPersisted is false).
When I create a new playlist, it comes with isPersisted=true.

So I’m wondering why it is that your playlists have isPersisted=false. I’ve seen this before, but so far it’s not been clear to me why this happens.

The problem is that I can’t just tell Lexicon to import playlists with isPersisted=false because then other users would get old deleted playlists imported. This used to happen and is the reason I added this check.

You can work around it by changing the value in the database (I can do it for you), but I think Engine will keep setting isPersisted=false for new playlists, so I think the problem will continue to exist.

Yes. It all does make sense. Thank you very much for your investigation. Ok, I am able to open this in SQLIte DB Browser. I’ve tried to change isPersisted to true. And… it definitely works for Lexicon. :slight_smile: I can see the playlists at import stage in Lexicon. I was happy, but… imediately I’ve checked the playlists. The structure and names of playlists were successfully imported, but the content of playlists was not.

Conclusion from my side would be this:

In final, i recognized, that from Lexicon seems to be all ok. As you shown me: It works and take into account Engine Library on the other internal drives. Which is going against my initial request for adding this functionality. :smiley: It is already there. So you did great work. :wink: I’m sorry, I didn’t know all those relations and consequences.
My problem what I have, is most probably related to the Engine DJ → so i’ve better to contact their support. Or it is something unusual specific only for my computer, (maybe?) regarding to my specific use of databases by duplicating them to the multiple drives.

I’m going to mess around with the m.db file and when I will find out something interesting. I will let you know here to this thread.

Thank you very much for all your effort. :slight_smile:

I’m going to do some more investigation into this issue later this week, maybe I can figure out why Engine sometimes puts playlists on isPersisted=false. If you happen to see that Engine does that, let me know, that will help me understand this issue better. Nice to see you’re not afraid to get into the database :wink: That can be really helpful when searching for these problems.

If I find something, I will update you!