Sync cleared all of my tags, leaving only the filename

I’m 2 weeks into my library cleanup of 200,000+ songs, and the last sync destroyed all of my tags.

Context: I’ve move to a one folder structure, so I’ve had to find lost files (also been a pain since Lexicon can only do 10,000 at one time). Why is there no option in the Utility to force all files from previous subfolders to just one location?

Once I manually found all files, I hit sync to Serato and it seems to have cleared all of the meta data from each file. Super gutted right now, as I’ve been working on tags over my 18 year career.

Are they gone?!

Your tags aren’t gone, just make sure you don’t mess with your Lexicon because Lexicon contains everything that you can always get back. If your Lexicon looks good right now, make a backup and keep that safe just to be sure.

Sync shouldn’t clear metadata, it should only update your tracks to reflect the same data as Lexicon.

Are all your tags in Lexicon all good? And you have no missing files (orange triangle) in Lexicon right now?

Also you can change your files to one location, just select multiple missing tracks → right click → Relocate and point it to the new folder.

Hey Christiaan,

When relocating the lost tracks, I could not select all 200,000+. I could only manually scroll to select < 10,000 at a time. I tested, and once you go over 9,999, the “Relocate” option is disabled.

So relocating in smaller chunks took some time…

Once all tracks were found and all orange triangles were gone, I hit sync to Serato. That’s when all of my meta data disappeared.

I only see the file name and location in Lexicon, all other fields are now blank.

I see there is a “Reload Tags” option.

Would this need to be done to any missing files once they are found again? And if so, and you end up syncing to Serato before “Reloading Tags”, does this write all the blank meta data to the song files with these now empty fields?

You don’t need to reload tags.

If you only do a sync to Serato, there is no way that your tags etc are gone in Lexicon. Maybe you did an import?

Hey Christiaan,

The import was done at the start of the process, while all folder structures were in tact. No further importing was done after moving everything to one folder making all files show as missing.

Once they were found, the meta data did not show. I synced to serato, and all of the blank tags were written to the files.

If I load the tracks to serato, all the fields but the filename are missing. This is verified using any app that reads tags.

It sounds like you might have imported from a Serato where your files were already missing, because then Lexicon can’t read the files which contain all the tags.

Check your Documents/Lexicon/Backups folder and see if there is a good backup with all your tags in there. You can restore a backup from the Backup menu at the top in Lexicon.

If that is the case, when the files are relocated, one would have to reload tags before a sync? Seems like the relocation did not pull the tags upon them being found, then rewrote the files with the blanks.

This was all done on backup drives, so what would be the correct procedure to accomplish the following:

Current Serato setup:

50,000+ MP4’s on Old 1TB Macbook
AND
150,000+ MP3’s on 5TB External Drive

*Spread across hundreds of dated folders back to 2007

Migrate to the following:

New Serato setup:

200,000+ MP3/MP4s on New 8TB Macbook

*All located in a one folder structure

First issue I noticed is that since my current library is spread across both internal and external drives, Lexicon is only pointed to one database folder.

What would be the best way to consolidate to this new computer and a one folder structure?

Thanks,
Jay

There is one “main” Serato folder that you point it to (should normally be found automatically in your Music folder). The other Serato folders are secondary, usually those on external drives.

Before moving/changing anything, are your tags recovered somewhere? We should get that fixed first or we might make things worse.

My tags are in tact from the main computer and external.

I’ve made a new backup of both the main Serato folder and music from each onto a new 16tb external.

Essentially starting the process again fresh.

What would be your recommended steps to consolidating to a one folder structure from this point?

I would not recommend putting all tracks in a single flat folder.

I would move both of your music folders to the new location, keeping as much of the folder structure intact.
So your new folder could look something like:
/Volumes/MyDrive/All Music/Old Music 1/
/Volumes/MyDrive/All Music/Old Music 2/

Because that makes relocating easy and reliable. Putting all tracks in one “flat” folder only has downsides so don’t do that.

Check this guide under Step 4 for relocating details.

If having a neat folder structure and filenames is important to you, then I would do it another way. See this guide. Then I wouldn’t do the above relocating but just make sure all your tracks are working in Lexicon, from both old locations. Then follow the last guide and let Lexicon move & rename your files.

If that is the case, when the files are relocated, one would have to reload tags before a sync? Seems like the relocation did not pull the tags, then rewrote the files with the blanks.

This was all done on backup drives, so what would be the correct procedure to accomplish the following:

Current Serato setup:
50,000+ MP4’s on Old 1TB Macbook
AND
150,000+ MP3’s on 5TB External Drive
*Spread across hundreds dated folders back to 2007

Migrate to the following:

New Serato setup:
200,000+ MP3/MP4s on New 8TB Macbook
*All located in a one folder structure

First issue I noticed is that since my current library is spread across both internal and external drives, Lexicon is only pointed to one database folder.

What would be the best way to consolidate to this new computer and a one folder structure?

Thanks,
Jay

Sorry for the delay, email replies didn’t arrive but they work again now.

By “one folder structure” do you mean that your top music folder has no sub-folders at all? A “flat” folder structure?

That’s correct. Serato has an article on why they suggest this, especially with larger libraries.

The main issue beside the missing files and subsequent wiring of blank tags, is the combination of internal and external serato databases. I can point to the external drive, but then it wont let me point to the main internal one.

You will run into a problem with the flat folder approach when you have multiple identical filenames. You’re going to have to overwrite either of them and you don’t know which is the better quality.

You should not point Lexicon to an external database. Always point it to your main internal database.

Anyway if you want the flat folder then I would follow this guide: Guide: Moving and renaming files automatically | Lexicon - DJ Library Management

In short:

1. Make sure all your tracks work in Lexicon first. They should not be missing.
  2. Mark them all as “incoming”
  3. Set your target folder to the flat folder. Don’t set any subfolder patterns. You can set a filename pattern if you want, see the guide.
  4. Mark them as “Done” and Lexicon will move them without breaking your playlists and cues.
  5. When all done, sync to Serato.