Denon Engine vs Lexicon BPM and Beatgrid Analysis

No, i let It as “default”. Does It justify the markers loosed at end of waveform on first track and the BPM value difference on second track?

Yes could be. It’s better to leave beatgrids locked because then Engine won’t change them

I’m sorry, but I just tested exporting to Engine DJ with the option to leave the beatsgrid locked and the issues persist. Nothing has fixed.

Maybe Engine has a limit in beat markers, I don’t know. Since Engine can’t do a dynamic analysis I can imagine their system is not made for so many markers

Engine can’t do dynamic analysis but allow flexible beatgrids.

No solution then?

Not at the moment. I do think Engine might have a limit on beatmarkers, so it stops when it reaches that

Hi @Christiaan

Sorry, but I am doing a second review.

I have now analyzed my library with rekordbox, disabling dynamic mode.

I do the export to Engine without the beatgrids locked, by “Default”.

I load the track in Engine and, if I try to edit it, to add a marker, it comes out locked by default and does not allow me (the add and remove bookmarks buttons are disabled).

If I remove the lock, I can’t add markers either:

On the contrary, if I reanalyze track in the Engine, now the add and remove bookmarks buttons are enabled:

By the way,

I have repeated the process that I explain in my post: Denon Engine vs Lexicon BPM and Beatgrid Analysis - #19 by djjatoro

But this time, taking as an application for dynamic analysis, VDJ. That is, I have analyzed the Karnak track with Edit BPM, Re-Analyze Multiple BPM. And, although VDJ seems less precise, at least it doesn’t seem to introduce as many markers, which means that when exporting to Engine DJ it does display the track with all its markers from start to finish (although, again, they don’t seem as perfectly aligned as with Rekordbox).

The same thing that I mentioned at the beginning of this post continues to happen with the export in relation to trying to edit the beatgrid with Engine DJ, that is, the add and delete markers buttons appear disabled regardless of whether the grid is locked or not.

Could you take a look, please, to this issue? Thanks.

Can we conclude that Engine has a limit on the beatmarkers then? Since VDJ uses less markers and the entire track then works in Engine.

Is the only problem now that pressing the unlock button keeps the buttons disabled?

Yes! the tests with VDJ are conclusive to determine that the problem was on Engine and with 99% probability it is a limitation of markers.

And yes, the problem now is that i can’t edit the
beatgrid in Engine once the export is done.

Could you review it please?

Thanks!

I think Engine only allows you to add more markers that are after the last marker, otherwise the button is disabled.

Uuhmm. Yes, it seems you are right. I have checked and it seems to be the case. That the buttons are enabled from the last marker inserted.

In the case of the Karnak track (which has been analyzed with variable BPM in VDJ), it is at bar 170 or minute 5:05:

In the case of another track analyzed by the normal VDJ method, the add/delete buttons are enabled, apparently when the kick drum is going to start:

It’s curious.

By the way and lastly from my tests analyzing my ripped vinyl tracks from the 90’s…

As a last test, I’m doing it now with Traktor.

The track under analysis is still Karnak, the one I uploaded in the post:

I first analyze it with Traktor and the result is perfect from the first second to the last.

When sync Traktor to LXC, the problem we had with Rekordbox appears. In other words, at first the grid is perfectly aligned, but after a certain minute, it becomes misaligned, as can be seen in this screenshot:

Could I take a look at it, please?

Thanks in advance and I hope I’m not burdening you too much with these tests and my requests.

I will take another look soon

I’m not seeing that, for me it stays spot on the entire track:

Maybe you have an old beatgrid?

Hi.

I think i did the entire process from zero. Empty Traktor Collecton and Empty LXC database and playlists.

This afternoon, when i go out of work, i Will review again allí. But i think i did It all right.

We stay in Contact. Thanks.

My process was this:

1. Analyze your file in RB, dynamic
  2. Import to LXC (merge disabled)
  3. Beatshift correction scan
  4. Check beatgrid in LXC, seems to be correct

Hi @Christiaan

Sorry. The tests I did in my post:

they were not well done.

First of all, I want to say that my intention was to find out which of the 3 applications (Rekordbox, VDJ or Traktor) would do the best analysis of my tracks resulting from ripping vinyl from the 90’s.

In this case I was testing Traktor and not Rekordbox, but the grid was perfectly aligned in Traktor not from it analysis, but it had previously been adjusted by VDJ and this was exported/synced from LXC.
Sorry again, I have done so many tests syncing in one direction and in another with the 3 applications, but taking LXC as the “converter” or “bridge” application, and i loose control on mi mynd.

I have repeated the tests with an empty collection in both Traktor and LXC, first importing into Traktor and analyzing the track and then sync to LXC, then I have been able to verify that the process is correct.

I can conclude that the most suitable application for ripped vinyl tracks or with variable rhythms with flexible grid is VDJ.

Thanks again. Excellent work. Lexicon is a great tool, amazing, efficient and very useful for DJs, which should be 100% recommended. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Thanks! Glad we got this worked out :slight_smile: